Sunday 4 January 2015

Fireplace mood boards


So on Facebook I mentioned that we will be changing our plan for the fireplace design. Originally we wanted a stone fireplace with big wooden mantel and plaster over the redbrick wall. So something like this:

However, Dave was getting concerned about the weight of the stone on the floor. We aren't building on a slab so have to be careful about the weight. All along Dave has wanted to keep the brick wall and not cover it up. So I am coming up with a new plan....

I have create a few mood boards based on a red brick wall and blackbutt floors. In this first one it is with a panelled fireplace in a colour similar to the mortar in the brick wall.
The next room is with a wood look fireplace and a white mantle piece which would blend in with the rest of the white trim in the room.
The last room is with a blue/grey paneled fireplace.
I can actually picture them all in the space. These are just some preliminary ideas so we may come up with something totally different but I would be happy with any of these.

Which one do you like best?
Or do you have any good ideas?

Cheers,
Nat

8 comments:

  1. First: English isn't my first Ianguage and I hope you understand :) I would prefer a or c. The texture of the wood together with the natural stone wall is a bit noisy in my opinion. Greetings from Germany :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I have a reader in Germany, how cool. :)
      Thanks for taking the time to comment.
      Yes I think 'b' isn't quite right too. Now to tell my husband that. He he

      Cheers,
      Nat

      Delete
  2. I like A best. I think it flows with the rest of your house best. Id maybe go a bit lighter/creamier on the paint... something similar to your benchtops to help the open plan area flow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what we were thinking too, with a lighter colour, but I couldn't find any better pictures online.

      Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Definately A.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose. With a base of blackbutt floor boards and exposed brick walls you are already onto a winner. Personally I do like the modern look of option B, though I'm not sure how you'd actually execute it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B is what hubby wants, but I don't know if it would look too busy with the brick. Would it be too much texture? I am not sure.

      Delete
  5. Those are some really nice plans. Fireplaces may seem like too much of a throwaway part of a home, by virtue of how we've always thought them to be a given, but going back to zero with things take a bit of careful planning and preparation, since its also a matter of furniture and insolation. A good fireplace should solve much of those considerations, with the right and balance type of aesthetic and well-calibrated temperature. Thanks for sharing that! I wish you all the best!

    Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire and Outdoor

    ReplyDelete