Sunday, 31 July 2016

Preping and painting the kicthen and floor

This weekend we worked our butts off.

I was given the challenge a few weeks ago (by Dave) to have the kitchen area all painted by the 1st of August when the floors were getting sanded. I had been doing the prep (filling holes, sanding etc) for a few weeks and this weekend I wanted to smash out the rest. I didn't think I could, but I did it! So I painted the ceiling with a fresh coat of ceiling white and I did the walls in Valspar Montpelier. Just didn't do the trims yet. Also I painted the kitchen window black on the inside and spray painted the fly screen to match (not pictured).

Sorry the photos are so bad. Not sure what is going on with the camera on my phone.

Me rolling the walls

The colour in the kitchen area
This is the only before shot I could find.

The black window to match the laundry and painted walls and ceiling.
The other big job was to get the floorboards ready for sanding which is starting today. So Dave installed the step at the bathroom.

He then top nailed the floor and punched all the holes.
 Even under the stairs.
 There was flooring that still had to be laid in the small linen cupboard and under the dishwasher, which is broken, so we removed it.
He hung up the dryer temporarily so it was out of the way and put the washing machine in the bathroom again.
He also added the weatherboards to the gable on the roof. No way I am getting up there to paint that though.
So while the floors are getting done this week, we are staying around the corner in some cabins. This means we are forced to have a renovating break for this time. How nice!!

Can't wait to see the finished product later in the week.
Stay tuned!


Sunday, 17 July 2016

Painted the hallway

Another weekend down and more jobs ticked off the list. Hooray!

During the week, the electrician came back to do a few jobs.
1) He moved the kitchen pendants to the new position over the island bench.

 2) He installed the new laundry pendant.
 3) He reattached the powerpoint to the microwave under the island so we could move the microwave back into place.
4) He replaced a faulty powerpoint; and
5) He moved the light switch in Andrew's bedroom so we can install his wardrobe.

On Saturday, the plasterer came to fix holes in the walls.
1) He fixed the laundry, where we had to cut out for the pipe problem in the new shower.

2) He added cornice to the top of the cabinetry in the lounge room.
3) He covered the holes in the kitchen ceilig where the pendants used to be; and
4) He patched up the main bathroom where the door used to be before we moved it.

I promised some photos of the window film that I put on. Not very exciting but had to be done to pass inspection.

David bought some weatherboards and has almost finished replacing broken and missing boards down the blind sideway. Here the board are ready to be cut.

 Hopefully during the week, we can finished hanging up the dryer in the laundry. We have the hole cut where we need to vent it, see...

 On Thursday the glazier added the glass to the window above the laundry door.
 Then on the weekend, I did two coats of paint on the hallway. Which I changed the colour for. The other one was too dark. I am glad we did a test before we did the whole room. It is now the same as the colour upstairs and in the living room. However, it looks so much greyer in this south facing hallway.
 We are hoping to get in touch with the kitchen cabinet people today. Cross your fingers they call us back.


Sunday, 10 July 2016

Windows and painting

Gee, I just realised that I haven't done and update in ages. I am getting slack with the blog as we are nearing the end. I may have even heard Hubby say last night that it should be ready for final inspection in 6 weeks!!  Of course that don't include things like painting and finished cabinets, but after the building works have finished we can take our time with the rest and get our weekends back whenever we want without a time pressure over our heads.

Last weekend I decided I should start to prep the hallway for painting. Currently it is a pale yellow, which I don't mind at all but just not in keeping with the rest now.
First thing I needed to do was to replace the light fitting. But on asking Dave, the answer was no. So I resorted to spray painting it Oil-Rubbed Bronze. At least then it wouldn't be gold anymore.

 Then I filled and sanded the skirts and archs and gave them a coat of undercoat/sealer. The colour that I chose for the hallway (and kitchen) is a Sherwin-Williams colour called Repose Grey.

Here is the cutting in I did with the sample pot. I am yet to purchase the big tin.
It is a greige I think (mix between grey and beige). Anyhow, I love it. Oh and I decided I would paint the picture rail white too.

The deck is finished now. Just needs to be oiled. Here it is almost finished.
Heidi is giving it a test run.
This weekend, we replaced the old kitchen window with the new window which will allow the new kitchen cabinets to pass underneath. 

The old window gone and framing the for the new window.

New window with architrave
We have a new painter. He is helping do the yucky outside work. Today he is beginning on painting the ceiling of the deck.
Sneaky photo of the painter this morning.
On Saturday I finished putting the obsecured film on the upstairs windows, but I will post about that latter.

Tomorrow the sparkie is coming to do some electrics and hang the new laundry light and move the kitchen pendants to be above the bench.